Saturday, July 28, 2007

Yet Another Reason to Homeschool...

Through the "Thursday Thirteen" meme, I discovered a very interesting blog called "Unabridged Opinions". The lady who writes it is named Jennie S. and she teaches middle school in San Diego. I believe she's an English teacher because she talks a lot about literature but I'm not 100% certain about that. Anyways, she wrote a post a few weeks ago that just gave me one of those "Thank you Lord for allowing me to be in a position to homeschool" moments when I read it:

"I had spent significant amounts of time during the school year trying to convince my principal, other teachers, and even a few parents that READING was the point of the class--not some sort of mystical demonstration of 'rigor'. I had a particularly tough week when I was being told that I should model my classroom after another teacher who is termed the 'worksheet queen'. This, in my department, is a term of endearment. The woman has a worksheet for everything, and her students get very, very good at filling them out. I find it really difficult to work that way, and I have a hard time convincing myself that time spent working on worksheets is better than time spent reading or talking about books."

And people wonder why so many former public schoolteachers decide to homeschool their own children...

No comments: