Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sen. Obama Believes Sex Ed for Kindergartners is "Right Thing to Do"

I just saw an unbelievable clip from MSNBC's Hardball (scroll down the page & click on the clip called "'Age appropriate' sex ed & politics") on Sen. Barack Obama's telling Planned Parenthood that he supports "age-appropriate" sex ed for kindergartners. There's been a lot of controversy over what exactly he meant by that, but Sen. Obama's spokesman Bill Burton specifically referenced the Sexuality Information And Education Council of the United States (SIECUS) curriculum.

So what exactly are in the SIECUS guidelines for young children? A lot more information than most parents would want their 4-, 5-, or 6-yr old to know! (Be forewarned that the link contains some pretty graphic language)

I'm not a big fan of Mitt Romney's but he absolutely has the right idea when he said at a Colorado campaign stop:
"How much sex education is age appropriate for a 5-year-old? In my view, zero is the right amount. Instead of teaching about sex education in kindergarten to 5-year-olds let's clean up the ocean of filth, the cesspool in which our children are swimming."

Eric Fehrnstrom, a senior adviser to Romney told ABCNews:
"Let's let our 5-year-olds be 5-year-olds. When students are old enough for sex education they should be taught abstinence as part of their health curriculum and that marriage should come before babies."

Sen. Obama considers himself to be a Christian- so why is he calling on government schools to promote behaviors condemned by Scripture to innocent young children?

It's really too bad that Sen. Obama holds such dangerous beliefs because he seems a very bright and charismatic man :-(

5 comments:

Susan said...

Oh no way! Kindergarten? That is absolutely absurd!

Jennifer said...

I have to tell you. I think Obama is right.

I was abused as a kid. The only thing is....I didn't know I was being abused. I didn't know it was wrong to be touched in the ways I was.

I think this eduction on right and wrong would make children safer from pedophiles just like Obama says it would.

Yeah, nobody wants a kindergardener to know the details of sex.

I think what Obama is saying is being blow up way more than it should be and isn't intended the way you are making it.

Crimson Wife said...

Jennifer- I'm sorry for what you suffered but protecting against pedophiles does not require sex ed. All young children need to know is that the parts of their bodies covered by underwear are private. No one is allowed to touch them there except for a doctor and that only in the presence of a parent.

If that's all Sen. Obama wanted children taught, why did his spokesman specifically reference the SIECUS guidelines?

Jennifer said...

I followed only one of your links. The others have been taken down or error out.

I don't know what the SIECUS guidelines are, but I saw a Obama speech that he talked about what he wanted and it sounded good to me as he described his plans.

Crimson Wife said...

I corrected the one link that I couldn't get to work, which was the "Hardball" clip. You can find it here, just scroll down the page & click on the one called "'Age appropriate' sex ed & politics".