Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Movies to Quote

The theme of this week's "Ten on Tuesday" is 10 favorite movies to quote:

1. The Princess Bride "You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means." "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders...The most famous, of course, is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' but only SLIGHTLY less well known is THIS: 'never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line! Ha, ha, ha, ha...CLUNK [falls over dead]" "Get back, witch!""I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!" I could go on all day but those are my favorites!
2. Casablanca "Round up the usual suspects" "I'm shocked, shocked to find gambling in this establishment!" Again I could go on all day...
3. The Wizard of Oz "I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto" "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail "We're the Knights of the Round Table, we dance whenever we're able, we do chorus scenes with footwork impeccable...""What are you doing now?" "Averting our eyes, my God" "Well, don't! It's just like those miserable psalms, always so depressing. Now knock it off!"
5. Star Wars IV: A New Hope "You flew in this heap? You're braver than I thought..." "I don't know who you are or where you've come from, but from now on you'll do as I say, okay?" "Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her."
6. Lord of the Rings "All that glitters is not gold, nor all who wander lost" "One ring to rule them all, one ring to bind them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them" "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing" "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
7. My Fair Lady "She's so deliciously low. So horribly dirty." "I ain't dirty! I washed my face and hands before I come, I did." "If the king finds out you are not a lady, you will be taken to the Tower of London, where your head will be cut off as a warning to other presumptuous flower girls!" "You see, the great secret, Eliza, is not a question of good manners or bad manners, or any particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls. The question is not whether I treat you rudely, but whether you've ever heard me treat anyone else better."
8. The Sound of Music "Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favorite things" "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window." "You know how Sister Berthe always makes me kiss the floor after we've had a disagreement? Well, lately I've taken to kissing the floor whenever I see her coming, just to save time."
9. Gone with the Wind "I'll think about it tomorrow, for tomorrow is another day!" "Fiddle-dee-dee" "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d***!"
10. The Gospel According to St. Matthew The movie is a bit on the strange side, but you can't beat the dialogue as it's taken almost word for word from the original Scripture.

3 comments:

Patois42 said...

You've got some great ones on there. Love the second one from Monty Python!

PJD said...

Beautiful. I chose many of the same movies, but I especially like your selections from Princess Bride and Star Wars. And my favorites from Lord of the Rings, which I failed to put in my own list, are these, both from Gandalf:

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Irishcoda said...

So many good ones, it was hard to stop at 10! I also chose quotes from Casablanca!