Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Because I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It...

I don't care if people like me! I've got strong opinions on things and I'm not about to stop voicing them just because I'm in the minority in certain parts of the blogosphere.

I just don't get why certain people seem to be afraid of engaging in discourse with others who hold different views. Groupthink is apparently what they desire. The 8 characteristics of Groupthink are:
  1. A feeling of invulnerability.
  2. Discounting warnings that might challenge assumptions.
  3. An unquestioned belief in the group’s morality, causing members to ignore the consequences of their actions.
  4. Stereotyped views of enemy leaders.
  5. Pressure to conform against members of the group who disagree.
  6. Shutting down of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.
  7. An illusion of unanimity with regards to going along with the group.
  8. Mindguards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting opinions.
How can a person even know what he or she actually believes without seeking out a variety of perspectives? Otherwise, he or she is just parroting back what somebody (parent, teacher, doctor, clergymember, politician, etc.) told him or her. Do one's homework, listen to several different arguments, then make up one's own mind.

Someone who is truly secure in his or her beliefs should welcome the challenge of interacting with an individual holding a different perspective. One is free to think that person is 100% wrong about a given topic, but one still needs to respect his/her right to hold & express that opinion without engaging in petty namecalling.

Speaking my mind, and respecting the right of others to speak theirs regardless of whether or not I agree with them- that's what makes me a "darn good Mommy blogger".

1 comment:

Snoskred said...

Hi, it's Snoskred here. I've recently become a blogging chick and have set myself a challenge to comment on as many Blogging Chick blogs as I can. So that's why I'm here. ;)

I think people are afraid to engage in that kind of discourse because in so many places on the internet, there are major downsides to doing so. People get *flamed* and *roasted*.

The only real way to have free speech is for everyone to feel free enough to say what they want, and that does not happen in every environment. It's something you have to work really hard for. People have to be polite to each other even when disagreeing, and so many people find it easier just to personally attack the person who isn't agreeing with their point of view rather than argue the points.

Good on you for voicing your opinions. ;)

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/