Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Brains & Brawn or How I Fell for DH

So, the theme of this week's Crazy Hip Blog Mama carnival #32 is "How You Met Your Spouse/Partner". Problem is, I don't have a cute "girl meets boy" story.

I met DH during college orientation week at a Jell-O shot party hosted by his fraternity. Not exactly the most auspicious venue for meeting one's future spouse! DH asked me to dance, we hung out at the party (no, I did NOT "hook up" with him afterwards!) & he invited me to the campus coffee house the next evening. We've been together ever since- 8 1/2 years married and 12 years total come September.

Headmistress over at "The Common Room" had an interesting post in this week's edition of the Carnival of Homeschooling called "People, Events, or Ideas". In it, she compares the interests of her oldest DD's college classmates with those of their homeschooled friends. "College was a bit of culture shock [to her DD] because so much of it was so shallow" she writes. "Far from being exposed to a new and wider range of interesting ideas and conversations, she learned that most of her classmates typically preferred to hold discussions centering around

  • Who is cute
  • Clothes
  • Who is really cute
  • Sports
  • Who is cuter
  • Rock groups, especially who is the cutest member of the band
  • Country music (different set of friends), especially who is the cutest
  • Movies, primarily regarding who is the best looking actor in the movie
  • Shopping at the mall, especially cool if you see somebody cute
  • Television shows, especially who is really cute

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against sports or Country music (I'm a big fan of both). There's nothing wrong with a bit of entertainment in one's life, so long as it's reasonably wholesome. The problem comes when the person is solely interested in trivial things and lacks depth.

One of the things that attracted me to DH was that he wasn't afraid to discuss meaningful issues including "hot button" political & theological ones on our first date. Too many of our peers, even at the "elite" university we attended, were mainly interested in superficial stuff such as drinking, drug-taking (which neither of us did), casual sex (ditto), and material success. I liked having somebody to talk to about more important topics even if we did not always see eye-to-eye. I also appreciated that he wanted a thinking woman and was not intimidated by my brains & strong opinions.

Of course, I also appreciated the fact that he's really cute and has a passing resemblance to Matt Damon (hey, I'm a red-blooded heterosexual female!)


5 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

Great post! Is there anything sexier than a man that likes smart women?

Mom2Amara said...

A man who can appreciate a strong, articulate woman and a good jello shot! How fabulous! You are lucky!

SusieJ said...

Yes, I echo mama zen -- nothing sexier than a man who thinks. Jellow Shots -- do you serve them on your anniversary?!

Crimson Wife said...

Our tastes these days run more to a good Pinot Noir or Riesling than Jell-O shots, LOL! I don't think we've had one of those since our fraternity/sorority days...

Mother Hoodwink said...

You found a diamond in the rough. It's hard to find a college aged man with an attention span longer than it takes to chug a beer. Nice post.