Thursday, November 8, 2007

Didn't I See This on an Episode of "Sex and the City"?


I just read a totally depressing statistic: in a 2006 survey of Gen X'ers done by Oppenheimer Funds, 45% of women my age would rather own 30 pairs of designer shoes than have $30,000 in retirement savings :-(

Guess I'm the odd girl out- I don't own a single pair of designer shoes but I do have a decent sized nest egg saved up and no consumer debt. DH does still have some grad school loans but hopefully they'll be paid off by January (knock on wood!) and going back to school helped him secure a significantly higher-paying job. So that was really an investment in his future & I don't feel bad about financing it with debt.

To my fellow spendthrift Gen X'ers I would ask- is it better to pinch one's pennies by choice in one's youth or out of necessity in one's old age?

2 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Wow. That's amazing. I'll take the savings. Just one pair would be nice though...

Anonymous said...

You have been tagged for the 8 random things meme! For instructions please visit my blog, I would love to learn more about my internet friends!!
www.mamaarcher.com