Tuesday, November 13, 2007

10 on Tuesday: 10 Songs That Bring Back Memories

The theme of this week's 10 on Tuesday is "10 songs that bring back memories". It was hard to narrow this down to just ten but here goes in chronological order:

  1. "You May be Right, I May be Crazy" by Billy Joel. For some bizarre reason, my dad decided when I was a little girl to make this our father/daughter song. He loved to put on the record when I had friends over and drag me around the room to embarrass me. I was seriously afraid that he would crash my high school prom to do that but fortunately it didn't happen.
  2. "I Just Can't Wait to be King" from the Lion King soundtrack. This was my high school clique's senior year theme song. It totally captured how anxious we were to get out from under our parents' control and live our own lives.
  3. "December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" by the Four Seasons re-mixed by Ben Liebrand. This was the theme song to my senior prom.
  4. "Brick House" from the Commodores. This was my college sorority chapter's unofficial theme song. Any time we heard it at a party, we would all go out and "shake it down, shake it down now!"
  5. "Another Night, Another Dream" by La Bouche. I took a step aerobics class in college & this was the instructor's favorite song so she would always play it. I can still remember some of the choreography whenever I hear it even though that was over a decade ago.
  6. "Angel Eyes" from the Jeff Healey band. DH and I have very different tastes in music so we never picked an official song while we were dating. When it came time for our wedding reception, we had to decide on one for our first dance. He flatly rejected all my suggestions and finally came up with "Angel Eyes". It's not one I would've picked since it's kind of self-deprecating ("What you're doing with a clown like me/Is surely one of life's little mysteries") but it does have a sweet sentiment.
  7. "Genie in a Bottle" by Christina Aguillera. We used to live out in a remote military base in the Mojave Desert which was 40 miles from the nearest town. There were only 3 radio stations we could receive on this drive- a country station (a genre DH hates), the base one (which played a very eclectic mix depending on who was the DJ), and an adult contemporary one that we generally ended up listening to. For whatever reason, this station had "Genie in a Bottle" in heavy rotation so we would always hear it at least once on the drive to town. It is now forever associated with that road in our mind.
  8. "Good Morning, Beautiful" by Steve Holy. This song was played a lot on the radio when my DD was a newborn. We ended up co-sleeping with her until she started crawling because she absolutely refused to sleep in the bassinet. We got into this ritual where I would sing her the chorus of "Good Morning, Beautiful" every morning. I still do it 5 years later even though she's been in her own room since she was 6 mos.
  9. "Danni California" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. When we did our cross-country road trip in conjunction with our move from Boston to San Francisco, we started keeping track of the most over-played songs on the radio. It was close between this and "Walk Away" by Kelly Clarkson but ultimately this won out.
  10. "Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguillera. This song was popular when my DS was a baby and my nickname for him is "Mini-man". So I started singing him the chorus of this song substituting "Mini" for "Other" as his theme song.

5 comments:

Patois42 said...

The first several songs on your list immediately bring memories to mind for me. An eclectic mix, for sure?

I noticed you're in the Bay Area. Me, too.

Amanda said...

great songs. I remember Genie in a bottle. wow that brings abck LOTS of memories with my little sister.

Melissa said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing!

Irishcoda said...

LOL I never would have picked You May Be Right, I May Be Crazy as a father-daughter song! Enjoyed reading your list!

Serena said...

Thanks for sharing your list. I enjoyed reading it. :)

Serena
ChatnChill