Thursday, April 12, 2007

Why I Love Catholicism

A couple of Mormon missionaries knocked on my door last night, which got me thinking about all the reasons why I love being a Catholic:

First and foremost, I love the fact that the Catholic Church can trace itself back directly to Christ and His apostles! All the other Christian denominations were founded by men, but Catholicism was founded by God Himself.

I love the fact that Catholics receive the gift of Christ's actual body and blood in the Holy Eucharist every Mass. None of this "symbolic" or wishy-washy "consubstantiated" communion- it's the Real Presence of Him!

I love how Catholics have holy people who can intercede upon our behalf with God such as Mary, the Saints, and the clergy. There's a lot of misinterpretation of this by non-Catholics, with ignorant people claiming that Catholics "worship Mary/the saints/the Pope/etc." but actually all we are doing is asking them to pray for us to God. It's the same idea as asking a friend to pray to God for us, but a friend who has a special relationship with God!

I love how the Catholic Church is not afraid to stick to its beliefs about what is right and what is wrong even when the tide of popular opinion is against them. No abandoning Biblical morality in the name of "political correctness" like so many of the mainline Protestant denominations have! It's not easy to live according to Catholic doctrine when it goes against so much of modern society, but as Christ says: "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many/How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few." (Matthew 7:13-14).

Finally, I love all the tradition and rituals of Catholicism. They are truly "comfort food" for my soul! With the hectic pace of modern life, it's nice to have the unchanging anchor of the Mass, praying the rosary, and so on.

I feel so blessed to have the Catholic Church as a part of my life!

No comments: