Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Book Meme

I don't normally do memes because I often feel like I'm being put on the spot and I hate doing the same to others. But I've got insomnia and I've run out of housework that I can do without disturbing the rest of the family (seriously!) I finished the book I was reading and can't get at the next one in my queue without turning on the light in our bedroom. So I've decided to respond to Sunniemom's tag over at "A Woman on Purpose". Now, don't get your knickers in a twist if I didn't respond to your tag(s) in the past. It doesn't mean that I don't like you- it just means I happen to be bored at the moment :-)

Anyhoo, here are the rules of the meme:

1. Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the 5th sentence.

4. Post the next 3 sentences.

5. Tag 5 people.

The book I just finished reading is called The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How it Has Undermined Women by Susan Douglas and Meredith Michaels. I'm planning to critique it in a future post, but here's what page 123 has to say. It's discussing those gushing profiles of celebrity moms women's magazines prominently feature:

"Often, in the profile, the celebrity mom has triumphed over various heartbreaks and challenges, and the very structure of the story is designed to get us to root for her. In addition, in the interview, the celebrity both notes how she is above the herd but is also so very much like you, especially because she is a mother. Retaining their success is essential for celebrities, and the more you want to identify with them, the better their chances of staying in the limelight."

Consider yourself tagged if you're interested in playing along! Drop a note in the comments or email me & I'll link to you below:

1. Be the first!


No comments: