Sunday, August 26, 2007

First Day of "Official" Homeschool Tomorrow!

DD is starting kindergarten tomorrow! I'm feeling a bit nervous about making the transition from the very relaxed homeschooling we've been doing to a more structured curriculum with formal math, religion, and language arts programs. I want to challenge her academically but without putting too much pressure on her.

Part of me is feeling rather intimidated by the fact that I'm the one responsible for her education. There's no outsider to blame if she doesn't master the 4R's. She's not just 1 of a couple dozen kids in my life for 30 hours a week for 9 months and then dumped onto the next teacher. The buck stops right here, and that's a bit daunting for a perfectionist like me.

I have to keep reminding myself that I have the advantage of loving my student and being more personally invested in making sure she succeeds than any paid teacher ever could!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Congratulations! And next year you'll be even bureaucratically official as well because she'll be 6 and you'll need to file paperwork in Sacramento!

We aren't starting until next week because of a last hurrah trip to LA to see family. Most of our classes and activities start next week so we'll get the new rhythm started all at once...

Candlestring said...

You've been teaching her her whole life, I'm sure you'll carry on brilliantly.
My biggest problem is remembering I have YEARS for them to learn things; I don't have to try to cram it all in at once! LOL