Tuesday, July 17, 2007

R.I.P. Dr. Raymond Moore

I was very sorry to hear from Henry over at "Why Homeschool" and Elena over at "My Domestic Church" that Dr. Raymond Moore passed away last Friday at age 91 after having suffered a massive stroke in June.

While I don't agree 100% with Dr. Moore's educational philosophy, he was one of the pioneers of the modern homeschooling movement. His efforts, along with others such as the HSLDA, helped to make homeschooling legal in all 50 states. I'll end with one of my favorite quotes from Dr. Moore:
"In general the best teacher or care-giver cannot match a parent of even ordinary education and experience. No schoolroom can match the simplicity and power of the home in providing three-dimensional, first hand education. The school, not the home, is the substitute, and its highest function is to complement the family. The family is still the social base, and must be, if our society is to survive."

1 comment:

Mama Zen said...

I'm not familiar with Dr. Moore, but I love the quote!